The association is committed to its volunteers and staff for travel expenses incurred while conducting association business. This includes attending association meetings and representing the association at other functions.
This travel policy shall apply to the Board of Directors, members of association committees and task forces, and association staff. It does not apply to the funding of Delegates to Annual Business Meeting).
1. Members of committees and association staff will be reimbursed for travel expenses while traveling on association business.
2. All travel must be cleared through the association office if the association is to be billed for the expenses, or is expected to reimburse the expenses.
3. When arranging for association meetings, hotel accommodations shall be made using blocks of rooms for group rates. When travel is for other approved purposes, individual hotel accommodations must be made at the most reasonable rate, either through the national office, or with the approval of the national office. Additional persons sharing the traveler's room are the responsibility of the traveler.
4. Reimbursement will be made for room and taxes. Incidental expenses such as in-room movies, mini bar charges, laundry, or cleaning services will not be reimbursed. Hotel receipts must accompany any request for reimbursement.
5. In order to get the most economical rates, all airline tickets should be purchased at the earliest possible time, but in all cases no less than 30 days in advance of previously scheduled meetings. All tickets must be purchased through the travel service selected by the association, and charged to the association's corporate account.
6. If automobile transportation is used instead of air or rail transportation, reimbursement will be at the current federal government rate for mileage, up to the cost of the lowest round trip airfare.
7. If ground transportation is furnished through the hotel, it must be used for transportation to and from the airport and, if available, for any ground transportation in the area. If such services are not available, ground transportation to and from the airport will be reimburses at the current federal government rate. Receipts must accompany any request for reimbursement.
8. Because it is usually the least expensive mode of transportation, it is expected that airport limousine services will be used. Taxi service may be used if limousine service is not available, or if there is no difference in cost. If more than one person is to be traveling at the same time, it may be less expensive to share the cost of a taxi.
9. Automobile rental is reimbursable only if such expense is approximately equal to or less than public transportation charges for the entire travel period. This may be the least expensive alternative when the automobile is to be shared by a number of people. To be reimbursable, rentals must be preapproved by the national office. Whenever possible, rental cars should be returned with a full tank of gas.
10. Mileage at the federal government reimbursable rate will be paid to and from home and the airport or other mass transit point of departure. Parking expenses for the days of association business trips will be reimbursed. Receipts must accompany any request for reimbursement.
11. Three meals per day will be provided or reimbursed, when accompanied by receipts, up to $50 per day. The cost of food should be kept comparable to what meal expenses would be if the costs were personal. Cocktails and wine may be included up to the per diem rate. In cases where some meals are provided by the association through the hotel where a meeting is being held, the following guidelines for additional necessary meal expenditures apply: Breakfast, $10; lunch, $15; and dinner, $25.
12. Reasonable tips for luggage service, transportation providers, food servers, etc. are reimbursable when itemized. Reimbursement is not provided for maid service tips.
13. The association will not reimburse or directly pay participants for any special activities that may take place during a meeting, such as sightseeing tours.
14. One personal long-distance telephone call per day will be reimbursed. This call should be kept to a reasonable length, no longer than 10 minutes. Requests for reimbursement of telephone calls made on association business must be accompanied by an itemized listing of the purpose of the call, the time of the call, the persons involved, and the contact points.
15. Request for reimbursement must be accompanied by an AASSWB Request for Reimbursement of Travel Expenses form. Receipts for hotel, ground transportation, rental cars, parking, and meals must be provided, or the expenses may not be reimbursed.
16. Requests for reimbursement should be made as soon as possible, but in all cases within 30 days of the time when the expenses were incurred. Reimbursement will not be made for requests received after the close of the fiscal year for expenses incurred during that fiscal year.
17. Reimbursement will be made by the association as soon as possible, but in all cases within 30 days after the request is received.
18. Corporate credit cards shall be obtained for members of the Board of Directors, the Examination Committee chairperson, the executive director, and staff as designated by the executive director.
19. Such charge cards shall be used exclusively for association business, and should be used as through the expense would have to be justified on a voucher for reimbursement. If a cardholder must make a personal charge on an association card, the association must be reimbursed immediately. A written explanation must be submitted with the reimbursement.
20. Any personal emergency expenses incurred while traveling on association business and charged to the association American Express card shall be reimbursed to the association. The reason for the charges shall be immediately reported in writing to the association.
21. Credit cards will be returned to the national office at the end of service on the Examination Committee or Board of Directors.
What’s New / About AASSWB / Consumer Information / Social Work Licensing & Certification /Directory of Social Work Boards / Licensing Examinations /Services / Committees & Task Forces / Products & Publications / Association News On-Line / Meetings & Conferences / Social Work Links / Home